Cinema & Civics is an annual event series bringing together neighbors at Stevens Square Park for an evening of entertainment. We also invite a civic leader, such as a politician or another person in power in government, to share about their work and to hear from the people they represent directly.
Cinema & Civics events happen every Wednesday evening in June, with movies starting 15 minutes after sunset (approximately 9pm) and the program of music and discussion beginning at 8pm. The dates and approximate movie start times are:
- Jun 5 – 8:00 PM event start, 9:10 PM movie start
- Jun 12 – 8:00 PM event start, 9:15 PM movie start
- Jun 19 – 8:00 PM event start, 9:17 PM movie start
- Jun 26 – 8:00 PM event start, 9:18 movie start
Community Partners are asked to assist with one of our four Cinema & Civics events:
- Help select a movie to be screened
- Help identify a potential musician/performer to participate in the event, who will be paid $100 for a 30-45 min set
- Help identify a specific civic leader (politicians, City department heads, etc.) or a specific issue (renters’ rights, safety, etc.) to fulfill the “civics” part of the event
- Actively participate in inviting your community to the event, welcoming them, and speaking briefly about your organization.
SSCO recognizes the labor of Community Partners with a $200 honorarium.
We’re seeking Community Partners that are:
- Organizations grounded, or with a significant presence, in the Stevens Square-Loring Heights neighborhood
- Connected to communities historically marginalized and/or underrepresented in government and civic life, specifically communities of Color (especially Black communities), Indigenous communities, people with disabilities, LGBTQ communities, people living in poverty, and renters
- Able to mobilize their communities to attend the event
Interested organizations can contact Scott at email@example.com or 612-874-2840. We hope to have Community Partners selected by mid-April 2019.